Specialized Pediatric Therapy Camps were a huge success!
Summer 2018 at Exercisabilities are completed. Check back soon for our 2019 offerings!
Social Thinking Speech Therapy Camp – Flexible, Capable Me (check back for 2019 dates)
This summer camp was led by Cindy Wiest, CCC-SLP along with our exercise fitness and nutrition team will lead your child through the adventures of Super Flex and his team as he battles the Unthinkables.
Individuals with social learning challenges (ASD, ADHD, and other behavioral difficulties) may find social skills incredibly complicated. Age appropriate social skills facilitate interactions and communication with others both verbally and non-verbally. Social Thinking is a treatment framework developed by Michelle Garcia Winner that teaches the “why” behind social behavior. Social Thinking is a way to strengthen a child’s social skills and problem solving by helping the child figure out how to think differently and flexibly in any social situation. In this camp, children will:
- Be taught to observe and think about their own and others’ thoughts and feelings
- Learn the connection between thoughts, feelings, and behaviors
- Learn about hidden social rules with expected and unexpected social behaviors
- Compare the size of one’s reaction to the size of the problem
- Create a deeper understanding of emotions and they influence the emotions of others
This 2.5 hour camp will include speech therapy taught social thinking skills using the Social Thinking platform. Other activities include:
- Games – learn how fun games can serve as great exercise to both stimulate learning but calm the brain
- Snack and nutrition – Use your fine motor skills to build a fun healthy snack while learning about the importance of good nutrition
Minimum 8/Maximum 15 children/per week
Ages: Entering 3rd – 5th grade (age 9-11)
Sample schedule of day
9:00 am – 9:25 am Flexible, Capable Me Opening
9:30 am – 10:15 am Rotation 1 (Superflex Game (fitness) or Social Town Happenings)
10:15 am – 10:45 am Whole Group bathroom break and Snack (nutrition and fine motor skills)
10:45 am – 11:15 am Rotation 2 (Superflex Game (fitness) or Social Town Happenings)
11:15 am – 11:30 am Flexible, Capable Me Closing